Full terms and conditions for Smith Street Bakers are detailed below. By signing the agreement and paying your deposit, it will be deemed that the terms and conditions are understood and agreed.
- All cakes are priced according to your exact design and size of the cake, including cake content and time element involved in making the design. Payment of the deposit will secure this price and the slot in the diary.
- A non-refundable 50% deposit (total of the cake price) is required in order to secure the commission of your cake and chosen date.
- Payment should be made by bank transfer to the details provided to you via emailed Terms & Conditions included within your email communications with Smith Street Bakers. Cheques are not accepted. Please email us with confirmation of transfer in order to prompt acknowledgement of the payment. Final payment of your wedding cake (plus delivery cost) is required no later than 7 days prior to delivery. It is your responsibility to remember to send this payment, as a reminder invoice is not issued. If full payment is not received, then the order will not be released.
- If cancellation of an order takes place, we reserve the right to retain the deposit. In exceptional circumstances Smith Street Bakers will consider a refund, and will look at these on an individual basis. If cancellation takes place less than 7 days prior to the wedding date, then we reserve the right to seek the full cost. Cancellation must be made in writing (email) to Smith Street Bakers and will take effect from the date the email is received. If you postpone the event, we will endeavour to transfer your order providing the date is suitable, otherwise it will be treated as a cancellation (see above). We retain the right to cancel the booking in very unusual circumstances beyond our control, such as fire or ill health, during which we will refund any money taken in full.
- It is your responsibility to read and check the quote thoroughly; any amendments to design should be made in writing (email) and must be made within 2 weeks of the wedding date. We will adjust the design where possible, given the time and nature of request. If the alteration affects cost, or preparation of original design has already begun, your balance will be adjusted accordingly. Please warn us when you pay the deposit if you are undecided on the design. We reserve the right to change the design at any point if circumstances beyond our control may compromise the quality of the finished cake (melting due to weather). Each cake is made individually by hand, and variation can occur. All designs will be finished to the style requested, but will not be an exact replica of pictures supplied.
- We recommend extreme caution if you are considering a cake decorated with buttercream for a summer wedding (May-August). We cannot accept responsibility for any melting of the cake once it has left our possession, as we have no control over the venue temperature. Marquee weddings are particularly susceptible to weather conditions. We can advise you of designs that are less susceptible to melting. Please also note that a buttercream wedding cake cannot be placed too near a fire source, as melting will occur. If we deem the table to be too near to a fire or radiator, we will move it to a cooler position.
- If your cake requires fresh flowers, these are not included in the price. We will work with your florist but expect you to make all the necessary arrangements with the florist. Please note, Smith Street Bakers are not responsible for any problems with your fresh flowers. We will not allow the florist to place any arrangements on the cake. Any fresh flowers for the cake must be made available to us at the venue. We will then place the flowers onto the cake in a food safe manner.
- If fresh flowers are used, or the cake has a buttercream coating only, the cake will be set-up as late as possible to ensure freshness. However, depending on varieties of flowers used and the weather conditions in relation to the buttercream coating, it may be necessary to cut the cake earlier to ensure flower freshness for photography, and cake freshness for consumption.
Allergies and Special Dietary Requirements
- Please discuss with us if you or any of your guests have special dietary requirements. Cakes can be made gluten free, egg free, dairy free and vegan. Please be aware that although ingredients such as nuts can be removed from the cakes, they are still used in our kitchen, so we cannot guarantee that our cakes are completely free of them.
- Most cakes contain small proportions of inedible items (support dowels in tiered cakes, ribbon, wires in sugar flowers, flower tape). It is the client’s responsibility to ensure that these are removed by your caterer before consumption.
- Some flowers are poisonous and not suitable for use on food products. You should notify your florist of your intention to use flowers on food to ensure that non-poisonous flowers are used.
- Delivery charges are calculated at 47p per mile, return journey to the venue. It is our intention that your cake will be delivered in a timely manner, however, we ask for patience with factors that may be beyond our control (traffic conditions), as we cannot be held liable for such delays. There may be circumstances where we recommend the cake be delivered 1 day in advance. It is your responsibility to ensure we have the correct event time, plus postcode and address of venue.
- We cannot be held liable for any damage to the cake at the venue once we have left the premises. We require that somebody responsible is available to check the cake before we leave.
- It is the client’s responsibility to ensure arrangements are made for the cake table, linen, cake stand and knife, which should all be set up prior to our arrival and be in a manageable state for the cake. Any stands must be stable, please note that if we are not happy with any stand on arrival at the venue, then we will make other arrangements for placement of the cake. We can source cake stands and accessories with prior notice, this arrangement must be confirmed at the time of ordering. Please take extra care to ensure a stable cake table is available if you are having a marquee wedding, as surrounding floorboards can easily rock the cake once stood on. Again please note that if we deem the table to be unsafe, we will change the position of the table to a more sturdy area.
- Smith Street Bakers will photograph all finished cakes. We reserve the right to use any photographs for display or promotion without compensation to you.
Storage and Consumption
- Please remember that cake decorations are very delicate items, and we cannot accept responsibility for any damage once it has left our possession.
- Your cake is baked to ensure it is fresh for the date of your event, we cannot guarantee its quality if it is consumed more than 48 hours after the event. Our cakes are made of natural ingredients and will not have the extended shelf life of most supermarket cakes, which contain additives and preservatives to ensure their prolonged life.
- Sugar paste covered cakes should not be refrigerated, as it will cause condensation to form on the surface of the icing. Refrigeration can also accelerate the staling of the flour.
- If you have concerns about your cake, please notify us on delivery of the cake, so that we have the opportunity to rectify in time for your event. All other concerns should be made in writing (email) and evidence of the fault should be included. No refunds are given due to change of mind.
- Refunds are at the discretion of Smith Street Bakers
We pride ourselves on our personal yet professional service. We look forward to working with you, and thank you for choosing our service.